top of page

A tale of two halves - AWC Round 1

Aire Wharfe Cup, Tuesday 9th April 2024, Venue: Utley, KEIGHLEY, Result: KEIGHLEY 20 pts, Ilkley 50 pts

KEIGHLEY took advantage of an error strewn, penalty infected first half display from an ILKLEY side who just couldn’t get their game into gear. 

KEIGHLEY opened the scoring with a try gifted by a penalty and a lineout driven over, then added a penalty goal.

Ilkley hit back with a great Harry Smith break and added another with a take and drive after they had won a rare penalty.

Keighley regained the lead with another penalty goal to make it 13-12 at the end of a frustrating half for the Dalesmen.

The second half was a totally different story as 5 more unanswered tries with a dominant scrum and near perfect lineout and the wind helping as well. There was a rare sight of an ILKLEY pack opting for the scrum instead of touch.

Max Jones was first to score, showing strength and guile to go in under the posts, and Smith added a goal to put two scores between the sides. 22-13.

Will Marlow finally got his F1 wheels into action going over from 35 metres out.

A lineout was driven over for the next try and Marlow went full length of the carpet for another. The Dalesmen’s evening was topped off with an extraordinary score with Floris van Oekel following up a drop goal attempt whic had sailed well wide on the wind. He outreached the defender to touch down. Smith’s conversion was his 7th successful kick at goal (1 penalty and 6 conversions).

Ilkley incurred the referee’s wrath twice as they saw yellow once early in the first half (Marlow) and once in the dying moments (Colclough) after which KEIGHLEY grabbed their consolation as they emerged from a ruck to blast over.

A good evening’s work on the unfamiliar surface of Keighley’s RFU AGP pitch.

Thanks to the match officials and the KEIGHLEY club for staging the match and, of course, the organisers of this interesting and absorbing end of season tournament.

Final score 20-50.


bottom of page